Saturday, March 15, 2014

Glacier travel training

Spent the entire day in mountaineering school learning glacier travel skills.
Started off by driving up to Alpental snowqualmie ski resort and hiked up to a nearby slope. Slope was moderate around 25 degree gradient . First task was learning glissading and then arresting while glissading. It was so much fun!!.
We then put on our crampons, roped up to a team of 4 and we completed 3 rounds. We had to switch sides whenever we took turns always making sure rope is down hill while ice axe was uphill.
Then the leaders made it tougher by actually have someone pull on the rope while we were all going uphill and we would all immediately jump down and arrest!!!. Or the leader would yell falling and fall down making us go into an arrest.
That part was really scary.  Was really interesting to think about how to keep the ice axe while I am climbing up with ice axe to my left Vs when it is to my right Vs when I am going downhill.!!!.
I did some awkward arrests followed by some more good ones :). Feeling more confident about my skills now than I did 10 hrs ago :)

Few pics from Aplental.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment